Contact Information:Joy Fowler817-251-5735Conference Time: 12:40-1:30Ms. Fowler in first grade
Ms. Fowler as a first grade teacherDear Parents,Welcome to First Grade at Grapevine Elementary School! I am excited to be your child's first grade teacher this year. I have been at GES since the school opened. This begins my 31st year in education. I have taught 1st, 2nd and 4th grades. I really enjoy teaching first graders because I see so much growth in them between August and June. They learn to read, write, become mathematicians and develop more independence. It always brings a smile to my face as I see the"aha" moments when a child learns something new. There is such an excitement and love of learning at this age that makes my job so much fun. I look forward to working with you and your child this year to make first grade the best experience for your family. Please contact me anytime if you have questions or things to share.Thanks,Joy FowlerFollow us on Twitter @GESFowler and @GESStars#gesshineonSome Facts About Ms. Fowler
- I am a native Texan. I grew up in Fort Worth, attended Southwest High School and graduated from Baylor University.
- I love to cook and try new recipes. I love Mexican and Indian foods. I can bake but don't make a lot of desserts.
- I am a dog lover and adopted a rescue Black Lab Mix in April named Buddy.
- I love to read and often have several books going at one time. The library or bookstore is my happy place. I also enjoy reading magazines and listening to books on CD in the car.
- I'm not much of a gardener but I LOVE roses. My yard must have great soil for rose bushes. I have over a dozen different bushes and love when they are all blooming. I try to add a new bush or two every year.
- I am hyper sensitive to smells especially most flowers, perfumes and detergents/fabric softeners. Lavender, Linen, and "Clean Scents" give me migraine headaches almost instantly and so do many floral smells. I love the smells of vanilla, cinnamon, citrus and, of course, my roses. I graciously ask that you not have your child wear perfume/cologne or highly scented lotions/oils/hand sanitizers to class. I always tell my students about my allergies and they work really hard to help me not get headaches. Thanks for you help!
- I love to walk, swim and workout with weights.
- I am creative and enjoy doing different craft projects like crocheting, quilting, card making, painting, etc.
- I knew I wanted to be a teacher when I was in the first grade. I always played school at home and took anything the teacher was throwing out to use when I taught my dolls and stuffed animals. I am an only child so I had to be creative with my students.
- Favorite First Grade Memory - I met my best friend when we were in first grade. She grew up to be a teacher, too. She lives in a different city so we don't get to see each other all the time but it is fun to catch up when we do get together and of course to tell her children/grandchildren about what we did when we were kids. I always tell the class, "You might meet your best friends in first grade this year. You never know!"