Hello, my name is Maria Martinez. I am the school counselor at Bear Creek Elementary. This is my 6th year at Bear Creek Elementary. I live in Grapevine with my family. I am very excited about the upcoming 2017-2018 school year. Please feel free to call me, email me, or drop by at any time! Phone: 817-305-4853, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School Counseling Mission
It is the mission of the School Counseling Program at Bear Creek Elementary School to recognize the unique attributes of each student where the school counselor facilitates, empowers and nurtures students to succeed socially, educationally, and in their career development. This is accomplished by collaborating with other educators, the families, students, as well as with members of the community. The counseling program maintains high expectations for all students; we aim to provide students with the skills to become effective life long learners and productive members of their community.
School Counseling Philosophy and Beliefs
The professional school counselor serving Bear Creek Elementary School believes:
- Kids come first!
- All students will be successful
- School counseling is an essential and integral part of the overall education process
- All students will have access to a comprehensive, developmental school counseling program run by a masters level, state certified professional school counselor
- The school counseling program, is involves all students, through the use of four components; Guidance Curriculum, Responsive Services, Individual Planning and System Support
- All students’ dignity and culture, including race, ethnicity, gender, abilities, disabilities, religion, socio-economic status, will be respected and valued.
What can a school counselor do for parents and teachers?
A school counselor can...
- Collaborate with parents and the classroom teacher to discuss concerns about their child, particularly related to social, behavioral, and emotional issues.<!--[endif]-->
- Work with parents and teachers in developing behavioral plans for a child who is experiencing behavior difficulties in school.
- Provide resources for children and parents on a variety of topics.
- Refer parents to resources in the community to meet varied needs.
What can the school counselor do for students?
A school counselor can...
- Teach guidance lessons in the classroom on a variety of topics
- Help children resolve conflicts with peers.
- Include children in small groups on a variety of topics.
- Meet with a child who was referred to the counselor through self referral, parent, teacher, or an administrator referral.
- Provide a safe, confidential environment for children to express and cope with feelings associated with loss, change of situation, or a variety of other circumstances.