*I will treat everyone with respect.
*I will not cause a problem for anyone else.
*If I cause a problem, I will be asked to solve it,
*If I cannot solve my problem, my teacher will help me reach an acceptable solution.
Rules in my classroom are few. I believe that all children are different, and all actions and reactions are very personal in nature. Effective discipline involves a few overriding tenets rather than a long list of specific rules. Situations are dealt with as they arise, with the focus on enabling the child to grow and learn from his or her actions.
My Classroom Promises
1. I will react without anger or haste to problem situations.
2. I will provide consequences that are not punitive but that allow the child to experience the results of a poor choice, thus enabling him or her to make better choices in the future.
3. I will proceed in all situations with the best interest of the child foremost in my mind. Academic, social, and emotional well-being will always be fostered.
4. I will guide students toward personal responsibility and the decision-making skills they will need to function in the real world.
5. I will arrange consequences for problem situations in such a way that the child will not be humiliated or demeaned.
6. Fair is not always equal. As each child is unique, so is each behavioral situation. Consequences will be designed to fit the problems of individual students.
7. I will make every effort to ensure that, in each situation, the students understand why they are involved in consequences.
8. If I, at any time, act or react in a way that a child truly feels is unjust, that student need only say to me, "I'm not sure that's fair," and I will arrange a private conference during which the student can express to me why he or she feels my actions were not fair. This may or may not change my course of action, but I am always open to a calm, rational discussion of the situation.
Thank you for entrusting your child to me. I will do everything I can to live up to your expectations!