Expectations and Grading Policy
Program Goals for Gifted and Talented Students
· Gifted and Talented students will demonstrate the ability to conceptualize and see relationships at the level of their unique potential in order to become independent, self-directed learners.
· Gifted and talented students will utilize critical thinking skills to foster in-depth, complex learning that demonstrates an understanding of advanced content.
· Gifted and Talented students will develop a positive self concept comparable to their area of giftedness that meets their social and emotional needs in order to interact and communicate effectively with other gifted students, peer, and society.
· Gifted and Talented students will collaborate in an environment that fosters relationships with students, families, businesses, community members and local governments to yield advanced products or performances.
· Gifted and Talented students will use advanced, divergent thinking skills to explore creative possibilities and solutions to enhance productivity and problem solving for themselves and society.
Student attendance is required on the scheduled PAT day. A student must attend unless appropriate arrangements have been made.
During the time students attend PAT they are not required to make up activities completed while they are gone. Work is a “keep up” not a “make up” situation and should not be assigned as homework. Students should understand concepts of the subject content in their regular classroom, but need not make up the class work covered if they were in PAT class.
· Grading Policy
Assessment of PAT students is ongoing. Students will be evaluated on their ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills, creative thinking skills, problem solving skills and leadership skills as compared to other gifted students. A Progress Report will be sent home at the end of each semester to inform parents of student progress in class. The Gifted Specialist will initiate a conference with parents if a students’ progress is unsatisfactory before each progress reporting period.