All 4th and 5th grade students at GES have the opportunity to sign up to be members of the Safety Patrol. Safety Patrol members assist fellow students with school drop off and pick up procedures. Below are the responsibilities, duties, and parent reminders for participation in Safety Patrol.
- I will ensure the safety of GES students as they arrive and depart each day.
- I will set an example of reliability by reporting for duty on the correct day and time.
- I will set an example of leadership by never chatting with friends while on duty or playing with the stop flags.
- I will be helpful and polite to students, parents, and staff.
- I will remember to wear appropriate clothing for the weather. If it’s cold, I will remember to wear a coat and gloves. If it’s raining, I will remember an umbrella and raincoat. (We have several large rain ponchos available but urge you to wear your own.) If the weather is stormy, I understand that all duty may be cancelled by the office.
- Motion cars forward
- Remind children to walk not run
- Remind children to watch for cars
- Watch the adult at the front of the cars as he/she signals cars forward
- Help children in and out of cars (Front Drive Only)
- Keep traffic flowing by holding people at crosswalks while moving cars forward first
- Never allow anyone to enter or leave a car beyond the 2nd crosswalk in the back drive
- Remember to always use your best manners (“Good morning”, “Please”, “Thank you”, and most importantly, SMILE!)
Serving on Safety Patrol is a leadership position in which your child will be seen as a positive role model within the building. Because of the high visibility of this position, it is imperative that the following guidelines are understood and followed closely:
- Students need to arrive promptly for their duty which will take place from 7:25-7:45 a.m. or from 2:55 to 3:15 p.m.
- Students need to dress appropriately for the weather.
- Students must maintain passing grades and must not accrue office referrals for discipline as described on the attached “Standard for Participation in Student Leadership Organizations” sheet.