The language arts curriculum consists of several components:
- Reading – Students will study comprehension strategies through self-selected reading choices, novel studies and poetry.
- Spelling – Students will have weekly spelling lists and activities that reinforce the spelling rule of the week.
- Grammar - Students will be encouraged to display a basic knowledge of proper grammar. New skills will be introduced and prior skills will be reinforced. These skills will be integrated across the curriculum.
- Writing – Students will write in a variety of formats, including narrative, expository, persuasive, descriptive, and poetry. There will be an emphasis on skills that help students in development of ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, and mechanics.
Language arts grade is broken into 3 parts:
· Spelling words and WOW Words (vocabulary) can be found on the 4th Grade website along with links to help students study.
· Students also have the directions taped inside their planners.
Homework is assigned Monday - Thursday. Homework is due the following day at the beginning of the class period. In an effort to help the students become more organized, I do not allow students to call home regarding forgotten homework or assignments.