1st Grade Curriculum
HumanitiesHumanities consists of integrating Reading and Social Studies content. We follow a Reading Workshop format in which students will learn both reading and social studies concepts through daily integrated lessons. Students will then apply their new knowledge through reader's responses, journaling, blogging, digital products and numerous other ways. Independent reading time is an important concept of Reader's Workshop in which students will read independently each day during this time.Students will receive small group Guided Reading instruction in which students are grouped by text level.Reading concepts include:
Social Studies concepts include:
- Phonemic Awareness
- Vocabulary development through phonics, sight words and context clues
- Story Elements / Plot
- Main Idea
- Making relationships through text-to-text connections, text-to-self connections and text-to-world connections
- Being good citizens
- Leadership qualities & community leaders
- Financial Literacy
- Map Skills
- Historical Figures
Students will follow a Writing Workshop model in which they are given opportunities to write daily in a variety of genres.Writing concepts will include:
- Procedures for Writing Workshop
- Small moments, Expository, and How-to writing
- Basic grammar and sentence structure (noun, verb, adjective)
- Writing strategies and skills
- Literary techniques (voice, descriptive words, strong beginnings, etc.)
- Editing and revising
Students will be expected to form letters and numbers correctly and legibly with spaces between words and letters. Focus is on manuscript instead of cursive. Cursive will not be allowed on school work. Please encourage your child to use capitals and lower case letters where appropriate. We use the Zaner-Bloser program.
SpellingStudents will be given differentiated word sorts and will be assessed by the teacher once every two weeks. The students' spelling schedule is as follows: Week 1 will consist of students being given differentiated word sorts and sight words. During this time, students will focus on sorting their words in different ways. Week 2 will consist of students using the same words but with choice in how they study them. Students will have a choice board from which to choose from daily. Students will be assessed through dictation on Friday of Week 2.
Math includes both concepts and basic computation. Students will use hands on activities to gain a deeper understanding of these concepts:
- number sense to 120
- place value
- basic addition and subtraction
- geometry and fractions
- problem solving
* Please practice basic addition & subtraction facts with your child daily. We encourage you to make flash cards or use the online program, XtraMath.
We use the Texas Go Math math program in addition to other resources.
Students will predict, observe, and record data. They will be able to compare facts, formulate ideas and apply concepts to solve problems.