Mrs. Loughran Room L312
Chemistry is a one credit, two-semester course in general chemistry. Algebra I is a prerequisite with concurrent enrollment in Algebra II or geometry. The purpose of this course is to provide students with a strong basis to continue their study in AP chemistry if they choose to do so and to show the relevance of chemistry in the student’s lives. PAP chemistry will involve a more rigorous program than the regular chemistry class including more homework, independent study, and in-depth laboratory procedures.
Text: Holt – Modern Chemistry
1. Be in your seat and ready to work when the tardy bell rings.
2. Bring a 3-ring binder and pen or pencil each class period.
3. Cell phones utilized during class will be taken up and turned in to the office.
4. All food and drinks must remain in the panther den.
Labs and Quizzes 20%
Daily work and Homework 10%
Laboratory procedures are an integral part of any science course. Labs will be assigned for each unit and conducted under strict safety procedures. Each student and his or her parent or guardian must have a safety contract signed and returned. This contract must be turned in before a student is permitted to participate in any laboratory procedure.
- Tutorials – I will be available for tutorials before school on Tuesdays-Thursdays (8:00-8:30) and afterschool (4:00-4:25) on Mondays-Thursdays. Please schedule tutorial times as needed.
- Complete all assignments neatly and on time. One late assignment will be accepted each six weeks for a maximum score of 70% and is due prior to the next test or the end of the six weeks - whichever comes first.
3. If you are absent, YOU are responsible for obtaining and completing make-up work. Please check the class notebook or my website for information.
4. Tardy Policy
a. Tardy 1 – Warning b. Tardy 2 – Student Conference
c. Tardy 3 – Parent Phone Call d. Tardy 4 – Office Referral
5. Cheating will absolutely not be tolerated. Cheating is defined as a student taking the work of another, on any assignment, and claiming it as his/her own. Please refer to the Code of Academic Integrity on the school’s home page for consequences.
6. Retesting must be completed within five days after the original testing date:
Unit 1 - Tools of Chemistry
Nature and Structure of Matter
Unit 2 – Classification of Matter
Changes in Matter
Unit 3 – Illustration of Matter
Unit 4 – Measurement of Matter
Unit 5 – Solutions
Acids and Bases
Unit 6 – Energy Transformations