School SafetyGCISD has a comprehensive crisis management plan in place. It has been updated, reviewed by staff as well as emergency response personnel, and shared with campus and department staff and with other individuals who may have a role in the event of a crisis. It is our hope that we are overly prepared and do not need to implement the plan. However,we are ready to provide for the safety and security of our students and staff if the need ever arises.
There are some key points that parents should know about the preparedness of Grapevine-Colleyville ISD officials at our schools:
• Each campus has an emergency response team with identified duties.
• Each campus has designated Shelter-In-Place rooms and a Parent Information Center. In the event of a crisis, there will be limited personnel available to answer phone calls from parents, and phone lines may become overextended.
• Each campus is prepared with a supply kit to ensure student comfort, if needed.
• Each campus has in-place facility security measures, updated employee emergency call lists, alternative communication capabilitiesin case one medium in inoperable, and an inventory of emergency supplies and equipment.
• In the event of a crisis, students will be released to their families as soon as it is safe to do so. Local response personnel will determine when it is safe for the schools to begin releasing students. Only an authorized person as noted on the student forms on file in the office will be able to pick up your child. A driver’s license or other form or photo I.D. must be shown before staff can safely release your child. Note that in the event of a crisis, phone calls authorizing a student’s release to a person other than a parent or name on file will not be accepted.
If the need arises to implement these safety protocols, cooperating with campus personnel in a calm manner will ensure safe and timely release for students.
If you have not already done so, please consider subscribing to the GCISD electronic news bulletin, FastNews, for timely email updates and information. This information tool will be utilized in the event of any crisis, and is also used to inform parents of school closings due to inclement weather. Please contact your campus if you have questions about the safety procedures in place.