Welcome to sixth grade at
I expect students to come to class every day with the following materials:
1. The curriculum is quite extensive; therefore, homework will be assigned every week.Weekly homework assignments called PAW (Problems Assigned Weekly) will be given on Mondays and due no later than that Friday. These weekly homework assignments are necessary to practice basic skills that relate to the given project.
2. If a student turns in their assignment on time, has it completely filled out with work shown, and has tried to the best of his/her ability, the lowest grade received will be a 70. If a student does not have an assignment, he/she will be assigned to Academic Support during SMART Time. When work is turned in LATE, the maximum grade for that assignment is a 70.
3. On top of the student’s homework they will also have deadlines to uphold in correlation with PBL throughout each project. I expect students to have their tasks finished on time at the beginning of each class period for which it has been assigned. Students will be graded in several different ways. Most projects will have a number of rubrics that will be given in advance and assesses the quality and accuracy of the work.
4. Parents will be notified if homework is not done consistently. Students are responsible for writing assignments in their planner for the week every Monday. These will be listed on the board and time will always be given at the beginning of class on Mondays to copy the assignments. The week’s assignments will also be on my website.
Grades are weighted according to assignment:
1. One cumulative test will be given every sixweeks.
2. Cumulative quizzes will be given once a week,generally on Fridays.
3. Tests and quizzes may be corrected for a highergrade with a maximum score of 70.
4. Grades are available for viewing on Family Access.Please contact your child’s counselor to get Family Access login information.
5. Tutorials will be offered on specific days beforeschool, after school, and during SMART Time.
Journals are kept in the classroom, but may be taken home as needed. Lessons are structured using an investigative approach. Students use their journals to take notes, reflect, and keep track of their investigations. Students will beheld responsible for the completion and organization of their journals, as they will be valuable for help on homework and studying for tests. (Parents find them helpful as well!)
Students are to be respectful of others and their right to learn. My expectations are that students:
1. Be on time.
2. Bring all supplies to class daily.
3. Conduct him/herself so the learning and teaching process is enhanced for all students.
4. Be considerate of the feelings and property of others.
I will take the following courses of action if a student’s behavior warrants it:
1. Verbal warning.
3. Redirect student.
4. Parent notification through note, e-mail or phone call.
5. Detention after school for 45 minutes (D-Hall). D-Hall note sent home with student. Parent notification.
6. Office referral.
Severe misbehavior will call for immediate referral to the office. Students found out of dress code will be sent to the office immediately to change clothes. Please find dress code specifications in the Student/Parent Handbook.
This year in correlation with PBL students will beworking on group projects. Teamwork and respect plays a vital role in thesuccess of PBL. will be agreed upon and signed at the beginning of eachproject. The contract generally includes the following agreements.
1. We all promise to listen to each other’s ideas with respect.
2. We all promise to do our assigned work to the best of our ability.
3. We all promise to turn in our work on or before due dates.
4. We all promise to ask for help if we need it.
5. We all promise to share responsibility for our successes and for our mistakes.
6. We all promise to turn in work that is our own.
Parents, please feel free to contact me throughout the year with any concerns, questions, or celebrations.
E-mail address: email@example.com.
School website: http://www.gcisd-k12.org/1735209308178673/site/default.asp
*Mywebsite will be updated with daily schedules, PBL information, and homeworkassignments.
I’m very excited about working with your child and look forward to a wonderful year at Cross Timbers!